Cats Paw Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The cat's Paw Island forums.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Hello everyone. Because these forums are no longer being moderated, we have disabled posting for members. You will still be able to read posts, but not create, edit, or delete your own. You can find our new forums here: http://catspawisland.boards.net/ If you require any help, feel free to address an administrator in chat, or privately message one on our new boards. Thank you!

Leelah Alcorn

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Batterwitch
Matured Feline
Matured Feline
Batterwitch

Main Character Bio.
Name: Eris

Leelah Alcorn Empty
PostSubject: Leelah Alcorn   Leelah Alcorn EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 5:43 pm

I haven't seen any talk about Leelah Alcorn (link to her tumblr blog; it does contain sensitive topics so please tread lightly), and seeing how I've been recently writing a story with a transgender main character, I feel like I should make a post addressing her death.

I urge the people reading this, to read this article written by the people behind one of my favorite blogs, Gender of the Day

Even though this quote was in Gender of the Day's article, I still feel it's extremely important that people see it.

Leelah Alcorn wrote:
The only way I will rest in peace is if one day transgender people aren't treated the way I was, they’re treated like humans, with valid feelings and human rights. Gender needs to be taught about in schools, the earlier the better. My death needs to mean something. My death needs to be counted in the number of transgender people who commit suicide this year. I want someone to look at that number and say “that’s fucked up” and fix it. Fix society. Please.
Back to top Go down
Lux
Senior Events member
Senior Events member
Lux

Leelah Alcorn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leelah Alcorn   Leelah Alcorn EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 8:08 pm

May she rest in peace, what a sad thing to hear that she felt ending her life was the answer. She will be in my prayers~
Back to top Go down
Jailbird
Clawless Old Fart
Clawless Old Fart

Main Character Bio.
Name:

Leelah Alcorn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leelah Alcorn   Leelah Alcorn EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 10:15 pm

It makes me so sick to know that all she ever needed was people to recognize her as who she was and not what she was born with
I just hate, hate, hate the discrimination towards transgender teens and adults alike, and I can tell you right now that nobody deserves this. Being in a relationship with a wonderful, transgender boy named Jay, I can tell you that he is just being who he is and doesn't deserve this at all either. Nobody does. It's messed up.
Back to top Go down
TFerrooni
Cub
Cub
TFerrooni

Leelah Alcorn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leelah Alcorn   Leelah Alcorn EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 11:25 pm

Nowadays I consider myself genderfluid, and I'm pretty open about it. I tend to identify as male, since it has become most comfortable, but even just a couple years ago I still considered myself full ftm-trans. I never really got too heavy into the LGBT community, so I don't really know all of the terms going around or any of that, but I've hadpeople get mad at me for NOT having a gender i recognize as fully, on both sides of the table, and that's painful, too. I'm incredibly lucky to have found a man who accepted me even when I told him I planned to transition someday (for the record I no longer have that aspiration, but I do cross dress when I go out sometimes). My parents, on the other hand, initially rejected the notion, but then started trying to call me by my chosen name, though they've stopped that these days...

Tl;dr the discrimination just plain needs to stop, people need to be able to be comfortable with themselves. Period. This is tragically upsetting news. :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Leelah Alcorn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leelah Alcorn   Leelah Alcorn Empty

Back to top Go down

Leelah Alcorn
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cats Paw Island :: Forgotten Cities :: Spirits of Past and Future-
Jump to: